miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Tuesday 12 June 2012

miss b loves.......French madeleines



Madeleines have been on my must-bake list for some time but I have only recently bought a mould! These buttery shell-shaped little sponge cakes traditionally flavoured with vanilla, lemon or almonds instantly remind me of France and they are so easy to make! In France they are often dipped into tea to eat. 

I used Mary Berry's recipe from her Baking Bible......
150g (5oz)butter
3 large eggs 
150g(5oz) caster sugar
150g (5oz)self-raising flour
½ level teaspoon baking powder
grated rind of one lemon


1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7. Grease a madeleine tray, dust with flour and shake off any excess.
2. Melt the butter in a small pan and allow to cool slightly.
3. Put the eggs and sugar into a large bowl and whisk until pale and thick.
4. Sift in half the flour with the baking powder along with the lemon rind and fold in gently. Pour in half the melted butter around the edge of the bowl and fold in. Repeat the process with the remaining flour and butter. Spoon the mixture into the prepared moulds so that it is just level with the tops.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes until well risen, golden and springy to the touch. Ease out of the moulds with a small palette knife and cool on a wire rack. Grease and flour the moulds again and repeat until all the mixture has been used up. 


The madeleines are best on the day of making (they are so delicious and moreish that they won't last long!) Wonderful eaten fresh from the oven with a cup of creamy cappuccino ......
Some would say that a traditional metal madeleine tray gives a better result but I was certainly very pleased with these and it's so easy to get the madeleines out of a silicone tray!
There are many stories about the origins of madeleine cakes but the most popular seems to be that in the 18th century Madeleine, a young maid in Commercy in the east of France  baked these for Stanislaw Leszczynski, the deposed King of Poland, Duke of Lorraine, who sent some to his daughter Maria, wife of Louis XV and she then introduced them to the court at Versailles.


The madeleine was immortalised in Marcel Proust's book 'A la Recherche du Temps Perdu' where a taste of the cake dipped in tea immediately takes him back to his childhood. 'Proust's madeleine' has since become a metaphor for anything which creates a vivid memory!


PS The English madeleine is baked in a dariole mould, brushed with jam, rolled in dessicated coconut and topped with a glacé cherry. 
English madeleine photo
 and recipe from here

50 comments:

  1. Oh my dear..!!They are like air..!!Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your lovely comment!! I just followed you back!!

    This is a wonderful and easy to bake recipe!! And it looks delicious too!!

    Have a great day!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you decided to follow. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I´ve never tasted one but it looks cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love madeleines! As soon as I started reading your post, I thought about Proust and was pleasantly surprised when I scrolled down and you referred to his novel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your madeleines look gorgeous! Your silicone mould is really cute too - I use a vintage style one that, unless you butter and flour really well, is a pain to get the madeleines out! Might have to update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post dear, so intersting...I've never baked madeleines, but I am gonna try...I know them the best from Proust! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made them but they look so yummy! I'm going to look for a mold now! Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummie! Looks delicious! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love madeleines! Proust has immortalized it as a French icon. I've never seen an English madeleine...very different!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy yummy I adore madeleines too :)
    Have a great day
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. I need to pick up one of those molds. These would be fun dessert cookies for a ladies nite.

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish I had one right now to go with my morning espresso. Yum! Hope your Tuesday is delicious. XO

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to get one of the moulds so I can have a go at these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They both look yummi, I am craving lots of sweet these days. I would love to be in a tea service of a hotel now : ) and in London it would be much better. Yesterday parents came back from London and brought my son lovely jubilee themed toys etc and I got my little sweetest surprise ( in my last post ) too : ) Have sweet days : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just been to read your post - gorgeous macarons - that's a great surprise!

      Delete
  15. I love them too, the trouble is you cannot stop at one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you for visiting my NYC blog! yours is pretty special too so I am now following. I love these cookies as they are so light and tasty. A nice light treat great with tea at the end of the day. I love baking them myself. Have a great night and I look forward to more of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so lovely + would make such a perfect treat for afternoon tea! Thank you for sharing the receipe xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. MMMM I wanna eat this post haha:) lovely.
    have a great day my dear.

    LOVE M

    ReplyDelete
  19. omgd those look so good! i love little cakes. hell, i love big cakes! hahahaha love the moulding too! :D
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love madeleines. These look wonderful.

    Thanks for your comment. So wonderful that you've traveled to Mauritius 3 times. I really hope to get there someday.

    Catherine
    FEST

    ReplyDelete
  21. this looks delicious! I have a recipe I've been dying to try.. just need some extra time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, these look delicious! My husband and I are headed off to France next week actually...I'm so excited! After reading your post, I will make sure to grab one of these to try on our trip. Have a great day!

    xo Grace
    www.wrinkledchiffon.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum !! These look mouth wateringly good Miss B

    Joanne

    http://www.balletpumpsandroses.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Its the perfect sweet to have with your tea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never heard of it and never seen it. Isn´t that strange??

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must see if I can get a mould and try these! I am sure they taste amazing:) Hope you had a good week...the weather is appalling over here again!
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bought a metal madeleine tray quite a while ago because I love them, but have yet to make some! Now you've been the inspiration to do that as soon as we get into the new place! Delicious! Thanks for stopping by to see me this week, sweets! xo

    Sandy M
    http://oohlafroufrou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Madleines are so tasty, they melt in your mouth! I didn't know the origins of the cake, the story is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. mmmm look delish!!!

    http://ladiesandthecityfashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have never tried one but they look delicious! Happy baking and an even happier weekend to you, Stephie x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yummy recipe.
    I wonder if you would like to follow each other : ).

    http://www.glossylala.blogspot.co.uk/

    Happy blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased to see that you are my newest follower.Thank you very much! I shall definitely visit your blog soon.

      Delete
  32. this has got to be one of the cutest cakes ever

    ReplyDelete
  33. Miss b. I love french madeleines, I need to find that mould!!!...Ow! I need a cup of vanilla flavored tea now!
    Big hugs dear, and Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there! 
    Inés

    SimplyClassyMe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks delicious. I think I would be dipping mine in chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ooh, these look delish! Thanks for sharing the recipe, will have to give these a go when I have an oven again...

    ReplyDelete
  36. These look so delicious. I don't think I've ever had madelines actually and that's cool you dip them in tea. Great post!


    xo from San Francisco
    ~Dale
    http://www.savvyspice.com/

    ReplyDelete
  37. look so yummy!!!aaaa love it....thanks for sharing:D
    btw mind to fllw each other?
    jessillesilv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  38. Yum! These look delicious :)

    Abbey x

    ReplyDelete
  39. It is delicious. Lovely post


    A chic kiss ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love madeleines! I bet yours are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So pretty!Thank you for posting!
    xo, L.

    http://fashion-babel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I have never had these before. I love the mold you used. And I love the story behind them! I love anything with history.

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm having a cup of tea right now and would love to have a madeleine to tip into it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...