miss b's quote

'I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list' Susan Sontag

Thursday 25 June 2015

miss b loves .....Liverpool and The Three Queens



Liverpool is a city with such an interesting past and has always been a favourite of mine. Last month, the Three Queens (the three iconic Cunard ships) Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria met for the first time in the River Mersey to celebrate 175 years of the Cunard shipping line. 


An amazing event with musical entertainment including the Royal Marines Band outside the Cunard building ..... 


....and a fly past by the Royal Air Force Red Arrows, one of the world's best aerobatic display teams.



The event was even more special as we had been invited for lunch in the spectacular Port of Liverpool building.....



 .....where we had the perfect view of the ships' arrival and we enjoyed a slice of celebration cake too! 



The interior of this iconic building is absolutely stunning.....



Formerly the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board Building, there are reminders everywhere of its maritime past including this beautiful mosaic compass design floor....


Later, as we were strolling along the waterfront, look who we stumbled across .....three more Queens! It was certainly a well-planned, memorable day! 


'Queen Mary, Queen Victoria
and Queen Elizabeth'

So memorable that we returned last week to enjoy more of this fascinating city! There are of course reminders everywhere about Liverpool's most famous band, The Beatles ....




The Cavern Club where they played
nearly 300 times!

.....and there was John leaning against the Wall of Fame!



There's no shortage of good coffee in the city and Bold Street Coffee certainly impressed me! 


I can recommend the pistachio
 and polenta cake too!

For lunch or dinner we have two favourite Italian restaurants ...  


The traditional buildings are stunning and the Pier Head is renowned for its trio of buildings known as The Three Graces. They are a symbol of Maritime Liverpool and the great wealth of the city in the late 19th and early 20th century. 


The Royal Liver Building, the Cunard Bulding
 and the Port of Liverpool Building

Two huge liver birds sit on top of the clock towers of the Royal Liver Building. The 'liver bird', a mythical creature, has become the symbol of Liverpool.

The neo-classical St Georges Hall is impressive too! 



The Museum of Liverpool is equally striking and one of the newer buldings along the waterfront. It tells the story of Liverpool and its people and the city's global significance particularly in the days of the British Empire.




There are fascinating, interactive displays about the different communities and cultures which contribute to the city's diversity brought about by its status as a major port. Of course there's Beatles memorabilia too!  Well worth a visit and the view of The Three Graces is a bonus too! 


The nearby Mann Island building with its black granite façade reflects the Port of Liverpool building .....a city of contrasts and the perfect blend of old and new!




The Albert Dock, just a few minutes walk away was opened by Prince Albert in 1846. Following the decline of docking in the city, the docks and warehouses which had once stored valuable cargo such as brandy, tobacco, tea, cotton, ivory and silk, became derelict but in 1984 it finally reopened as a major tourist attraction. 



Numerous attractions including the Beatles' Story and the impressive Tate Liverpool art gallery attract visitors from all over the world. 




Finally ......I should also mention the city's world class football ....two great teams, great rivals though, Liverpool and Everton and there's the Liverpool One shopping area which has attracted many great brands......



Liverpool people are renowned for their friendliness, warm welcome and sense of humour and I certainly  have a special affection for the city. I may well be a little biased as my maternal Grandparents were Liverpudlians! 




33 comments:

  1. Liverpool is a fascinating City to visit. So much history. The buildings new and old are amazing. The Maritime History there contributed to World travel. Your pistachio cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss B, What a wonderful and fabulous city.The interesting history and gorgeous buildings are so incredible. Your photos are amazing and the cake looks so yummy!! Thanks for sharing your time in Liverpool. I so enjoyed this tour!
    Hugs and Blessings, cm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great city!!! beautiful photos and post!!!
    Have a nice day!!! and my g+ for you!!!:)))

    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liverpool certainly looks like it is filled with so much wonderful history, architecture and culture. I'd love to be able to visit one day but for now I'll just have to settle for your lovely photo tour :)

    Rowena @ rolala loves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Miss B! Liverpool is an outstanding city that I reconnected soon to the Beatles, Id love to visit it too. The event looks amazing as well as the 3 ships. The building where you were invited for lunch is so impressing, Id be also curious to stroll around the city and try the different cafè, that cake looks scrumptious! HAve a nice weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have heard many stories about Liverpool and it is definitely a place I want to visit if I happen to be in England one day. The architecture is unique and your photos are beautiful! My boyfriend is a Liverpool fan so he'd be interested in reading this post. Lucky you to have had the chance to see the queens! Happy Friday, miss B!

    sunandsany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liverpool est une très belle ville ! Tellement des choses à visiter et à voir ! J'imagine que les trois bateaux ensemble ça devait être assez impressionnant. Je visité cette ville quand j'avais 13 ans!! Il y a longtemps déjà, évidement la ville a changé énormément depuis et elle encore plus belle ! Ton café a l'air délicieux !
    Je te souhaite un très beau weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! I did see the Queen Mary YEARS ago .. :) Love all the memorabilia and that cake looks delicious! You always find the best places to visit .. and things to do :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvellous, miss b. I was looking forward to viewing this post. Don't even remember the last time I was in Liverpool. I love that adorable cake! I do love the Tate so much there though. Thanks for sharing such wonderful images. <3 /Madison
    http://fashiontalesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, thank you for this lovely tour of Liverpool. Very impressive event and city too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post makes me want to visit Liverpool right now! I have been there once during my student times but it was a very brief visit and unfortunately I didn't get to see much.

    LUXESSED

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a great report of this fab city. I've been a couple of times but not recently and I really enjoy how open it is compared to Birmingham, especially around the Mersey. How lucky of you to see those iconic ships - I'm a cruise convert having been on a few cruises myself so I'd have been very fascinated by these. I have also found their architecture to be quite imposing - that view from the window, the Three Graces, is just stunnning! Both restaurants you suggested are among my favourites - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I always notice how bright and open it is in the area around the Pier Head and the Mersey especially!

      Delete
  13. The only thing I know about Liverpool is soccer since my son is a fan. Definitely would love to visit these wonderful sites some day, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I just love watching the Red Arrows! It's just spectacular how they perform each action and the overall result is always stunning :) Great post, I really enjoyed it!

    Gabrielle | A Glass Of Ice
    x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Miss b !Such a great City!!
    Wonderfull architecture and pictures!!
    Have a sweet summer time!!
    Xoxo Luisa Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad, you wrote this post! I've only heard of Liverpool, but have never seen it's sites. I'm amazed by the 3 ships! So fabulous to see all three in person. Love that celebratory cake. It is so cute Miss B. They have a lot of museums and culture there. I bet it is Beatles heaven! So nice to reflect on the past and see things. Gives you a better understanding of things when you see them in person. Loved this post.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. miss b, what a nice post this is. Thanks for sharing Liverpool with us. Oh, the Beatles, I love their songs! That fly past picture is so cool. And the bold coffee looks delicious. I would love a cup right now. This looks like a wonderful place rich in history. miss b, your life is so filled with beauty and wonder.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so cool! i had never heard of this before. the three queens, i mean!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pics are amazing.
    Nice to hear and see wonderful things about Liverpool
    other than the Beatles coming from there.
    Love the Beatles, my Mom used to tell me all the time
    that they were from Liverpool, it got so stuck in my brain.

    Have a nice day ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. The architecture is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Miss B,

    Looks like a fun place to visit and loved seeing your wonderful photos of Liverpool. Yes, always think of the Beatles coming from Liverpool.
    Have a great weekend
    hugs
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I think of Liverpool I think of the Beatles of course but this looks very lovely It will be on my bucket list to see when I finally get to London!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an incredible event, it might be so awesome to be there.

    ps.: thank you for the visit and kind words :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Miss B-this makes me want to add Liverpool to my must-see list. What fun to have family roots in such a fabulous city. My husband would go nuts over the Beatles history. :) Your photos, as always, are gorgeous! I'm just back from 2 weeks away and having such fun catching up!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  25. I put you on my "friends" list on my last post, as you are very dear to me as well.

    Enjoy the week, miss b.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  26. Miss B you are the best tour guide! I love travelling vicariously with you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Cindy! You've made my day! So glad you enjoy travelling along with me.

      Delete
  27. Thank you everyone for taking the time to comment! Liverpool has so much to offer and is well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I don't know how I missed this post. I had no idea Liverpool was so large. It looks like a very pretty city, especially nice they redid the historic docks! Another great post to save. How long is it from London and do you drive or take the train?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liverpool is a city with so much to offer and I'm sure you would enjoy a visit. It's about two hours from London by train. We are fortunate to be able to go there regularly as its only a fifty minute drive from home.

      Delete
  29. AMAZING gtravel post dear :) Im going to Rome this year its exiting

    Check out my top 6 Ikea furniture list today ...lots of tips :)

    Have an amazing spring :)

    Hugs and kisses Maria at inredningsvis blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on my blog. I really do appreciate it. miss b

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...