Paris based Australian illustrator, Kerrie Hess has worked for Chanel, Louboutin, McQueen, Vogue, and many others and has written this wonderfully illustrated book which gives readers tips on living the luxe life for less. 'Do you suffer with the affliction of Gucci taste on a Gap budget?' Kerrie asks in the introduction.......
'There is nothing at all chic about wearing the latest Prada pencil skirt whilst drowning in debt. ....Cunning stylists and designers have always known that you don't need to spend a fortune to look chic. You just need to know where and when to look, what to spurge on and when to go completely cheap and cheerful' says Kerrie. She then shows us all how to be chic without spending a fortune with her 101 tips on fashion, beauty, travel, home........ There's even advice on chic flower arranging and how to prolong the life of cut flowers!!
Throughout the book, top designers including Lulu Guiness and Sass & Bide define “chic”. Here are just a couple of my favourite definitions/quotes:
'Things that are chic are often expensive but to be chic is a combination of sophistication, elegance and fashion that can never be achieved with money alone.' Jemma Kidd
'Being chic precedes fashion;it's 20 percent about what you wear and 30 percent how you put it all together. The other 50 percent - that's your attitude when wearing it' Alison Chow (Co-founder Coco Ribbon Boutique, London)
It's worth buying the book for the gorgeous illustrations alone. (I would love to be able to do sketches like these ... so beautifully stylish)
This is certainly one of those books that I will dip into again particularly for the useful addresses around the world -chic hotels, designer outlets, cupcake shops .......oh and there was a reminder about the best hot chocolate in Paris - Café Angelina - I love it and must return soon!
miss b recommends:
- visiting Kerrie's Blog
- finding more of Kerrie's wonderful work on her Website
- buying your copy of Shoe String Chic from Amazon - your first step to being chic for less!