I love the way a fragrance can evoke a particular place, memory, person or event. Psychologists refer to this as the 'Proust Effect' after the French writer Marcel Proust first described this connection between scent and recollection. Sometimes when a person walks by, you get a hint of his or her perfume - you realize you know that smell and for a moment you slip back in time to a particular place........
For me the smell of fireworks, certain foods or even shampoo(!) can also bring back memories....of childhood or a holiday - ylang ylang immediately transports me back to Mauritius and nutmeg takes me to Grenada ......
My choice of perfume depends very much on the occasion or the season with floral fragrance always a favourite and I wear one of these five every single day.
1. Elle by Yves Saint Laurent - so feminine
2. Royal Water by Creed
3. Oud Wood by Tom Ford
4. Ananda by M Micallef
5. Black Violet by Tom Ford
It's fair to say that mr b loves his fragrances too but my favourites are without doubt.... .1. Creed Erolfa
2. Chanel Allure Homme Sport
I love to have gorgeous fragrances around the home ........
1. and 2.Voluspa French Cade and Lavender Reed Diffuser - incredibly long lasting
3. Molton Brown Amber Cocoon Hand Wash - richly spiced4. The White Company Winter candle
5. Molton Brown Blue Maquis Hand Wash - aromas of Mediterranean maquis - Corsican fir, rosemary, nutmeg...
and finally ...a few of my favourite perfume quotes.......
|Lalique perfume bottle|
via Mappin & Webb
'Perfume puts the finishing touch to elegance - a detail that underscores the look, an invisible extra that completes a woman's personality. Without it there is something missing.'